Winter Carnival Set For Casper’s Hogadon Basin Ski Area March 30th
As winter winds down, it's a much anticipated party on Casper Mountain. The Winter Carnival at Hogadon Ski Basin is set for Saturday, March 30th, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. featuring live music, food and drink specials, and the ever-popular Pond Skim and Dummy Downhill events.
The Dummy Downhill starts at 10 a.m. and is free to enter. The participants will release their creation over a ski jump, resulting in "spectacular jumps and spectacular wrecks," according to a release from the City of Casper. There are some rules you need to follow:
- Dummies should be mounted to a snowboard or two skis, be at least 30 inches tall, have no metal bracing or weights, and should be made of wood, plastic, wire, foam, rubber, tape, vinyl, cardboard, and/or plastic tubing.
- Sand or a non-hazardous material may be used as weight or ballast.
- Registrations can be picked up at Hogadon Basin Skier Services.
- All dummies must be brought to the skier services desk by 9:00 a.m. on March 30th.
- A lift ticket is not needed to participate.
In the Pond Skim event, you can test your skills by skiing or snowboarding over the Hogadon pond. If you want to be a part of that you'll need to have a lift ticket, pay a $5 entrance fee and sign a waiver. You're also encouraged to bring a change of clothes as organizers say you're guaranteed to get wet.
Spectators are welcome to both the Pond Skim and Dummy Downhill without a lift ticket, but if you don't have one you'll need to walk to both events.
You can find more information on the Hogadon Basin Ski Area website, Hogadon.net.