Casper fire crews quickly put out a house in south-central Casper on Friday morning, according to a news release from the Casper Fire-EMS Department.

They responded to the call to the residents in the 3300 block of Ridgecrest Drive at 7:15 a.m., and found a deck attached to the back of the house was completely involved. The fire was beginning to enter the house.

Smoke alarms alerted all four occupants when the fire started. They were able to self-evacuate with their pet before the fire department arrived.

Improperly discarded smoking materials were the cause of the fire.

The house is currently uninhabitable. The family was able to find alternative lodging on their own.

Casper Fire-EMS would like to take this opportunity to remind people that working smoke alarms save lives, and always take the time to properly discard smoking materials.

It offers these suggestions for these preventative measures:

  • Smoke alarms should be located on every floor of your home, inside every bedroom, and outside each sleeping area.
  • Smoke alarms should be checked monthly (using the test button) to make sure they are working.
  • Smoking materials should be put out in sand or water to ensure they cannot reignite.
  • Always use a non-combustible container for your disposal, such as a metal can.

The Casper Fire-EMS Department would like to thank Wyoming Medical Center for providing medical assessments for the occupants and medical standby during the initial incident.