NEW YORK (AP) — A New York Police Department baseball cap surrounded by flowers, teddy bears and candles is marking the Brooklyn spot where two police officers were killed by a gunman who was targeting law enforcement.

Visitors from other boroughs have come to Thompson and Myrtle avenues to pay their respects to officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu.

The men were killed Saturday as they sat in their patrol car. The gunman killed himself shortly afterward. He had posted online about his intention of killing police officers.

Among the visitors to the spot on Sunday was 58-year-old Gary Watson of the Hamilton Heights section of Manhattan. He had a card and a money order that he wanted to donate to the officers' families.


NEW YORK (AP) — The Rev. Al Sharpton is denouncing any violence against police in the name of Eric Garner and Michael Brown.

He also says angry rhetoric that somehow blames protesters or Mayor Bill de Blasio for creating the climate for such slayings is "reckless."

Sharpton appeared with Garner's wife and mother Sunday morning, a day after the shooting of two NYPD officers in their patrol car.

The gunman posted messages online saying he intended to shoot two "pigs" in retaliation for the police chokehold death of Garner. He later killed himself.

Sharpton also says he has received nine racist threats on his personal cellphone since the slayings. He is turning those over to the FBI.


TOWSON, Md. (AP) — Authorities in Maryland are identifying a woman who was shot by the same man who killed two NYPD officers before shooting himself to death.

Officials in Baltimore County identified the woman Sunday as 29-year-old Shaneka Nicole Thompson. Authorities say Thompson was shot in the abdomen Saturday by Ismaaiyl Brinsley and remains in critical but stable condition.

Authorities say she is expected to survive her injuries and that they hope to interview her later Sunday if her condition improves. Police believe that Thompson and Brinsley had a previous romantic relationship.

Authorities believe that after Brinsley shot Thompson, he traveled to New York where he approached a marked police car in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn and opened fire, killing two officers.