Mills Man Who Videoed Assault Sentenced on Robbery Charge
A Mills man, who was arrested after video of him appearing to viciously attack a teenager was shared on social media, was sentenced to an eight- to 10-year prison term with a boot camp recommendation by Natrona County District Court Judge Catherine Wilking on Thursday.
Nicholas Fenton, 18, heard the sentence that was recommended as part of a plea deal reached in September.
In exchange for pleading guilty to one count of robbery, because Fenton stole clothing items from the victim, the state agreed to drop one count of child abuse and one count of aggravated assault and battery and recommend the sentence that was imposed.
Natrona County District Attorney Dan Itzen said then that if Fenton successfully completes the program, he can petition to have his sentence reduced.
A relative of the victim told Wilking that Fenton should receive the recommended prison term with the boot camp recommendation because of the pain he caused the teenager and herself. "Nobody knows how I feel."
The case started early July 20, Mills police officers received several reports that a 14- or 15-year-old boy had been assaulted.
Officers learned that the incident was captured on video.
Police gathered witness statements and viewed video evidence in the course of their investigation. That evidence showed that Fenton approached the victim, evidently without any reason, and confronted him.
"Without provocation, the suspect then struck the juvenile in the face, knocked him to the ground, and continued to assault him by kicking him in the face and abdomen," Mills police said.
Once the victim was unable to get up, Fenton allegedly stole his shoes and belt. Fenton then used the boy's shoes and belt to continue assaulting him.