A boy at a local school threatened to shoot a girl last week and her mother said Monday neither the Casper Police Department nor the Natrona County School District responded appropriately.

"I just feel like you need to change the policy on informing parents of serious situations at the school," Amy Johnson told the district's board of trustees.

"There were some terroristic threats made to my daughter at the the school, and no parents were notified at all and it was really upsetting," Johnson said.

District board of trustees Chairman Kevin Christopherson said someone at the district would be in touch with her.

After the meeting, Johnson said her daughter attends Woods Learning Center.

Last week, a boy made verbal, electronic and direct threats against her daughter, she said. "When somebody makes terroristic threats like that, and then you come to find out that they don't even call and tell you anything."

Other parents whose children were threatened weren't informed, either, she said.

Johnson didn't know what punishment the boy received because that kind of information is confidential, but she was told that the boy was allowed to return to school, she said.

"I didn't feel that's right, either, because you're putting this person that made these threats to kill your child back into the same classroom, and I feel they shouldn't have the right to do that," Johnson said.

Last week, Johnson posted her concerns on the Facebook site "Casper Business Rants and Raves." Her post has been removed.

She wrote, "The student asked around for firearms, told students to wear a certain color so he wouldn't shoot them or he would call them and tell them not to come."

Regarding her daughter, Johnson wrote, "He told people he was going to shoot her when her back was turned. He was going around making stabbing motions behind her and she caught him. He told people she was at the top of the list."

Johnson was equally frustrated with the Casper Police Department, she said. "For three days we called and we talked to a sergeant twice, and we could not get an officer to call us back."

Johnson was put in touch with Rick Skatula, the district's executive director of school improvement, and she said he's been helpful.

After the meeting, Skatula said he has outlined the school district's protocols for incidents like this.

"We'll follow our procedures and then we'll move accordingly and I'll keep her informed," he said.

In an email, the district said it followed its procedures to work with law enforcement when a student threatens other students, staff members or the whole school.

The person in charge of the school or building -- the "building leader" -- starts an investigation and the student is isolated in a supervised setting at the site to ensure due process occurs; contacts law enforcement to conduct a risk assessment; and contacts the district's senior management who notifies the district's board of trustees.

Next, the building leader and law enforcement share their findings with the district's director of student support services. The case is closed if the threat is unfounded.  If it is real, the student is removed from the regular school setting and all student activities to a supervised setting. Trained school district personnel or an independent professional conducts a comprehensive risk analysis.

Where applicable, results of the analysis are shared with people who determine the next steps. Federal law requires the process to not exceed 10 days.

More From K2 Radio