Set Sail To ‘Treasure Island’ At Casper College
From swordfights and pirates, to storms at sea and buried treasure, you'll find it all with Casper College's production of "Treasure Island", opening April 26th on the McMurray Mainstage. An adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson's acclaimed novel of adventure on the high seas, the show will take the audience on a journey from the Admiral Benbo Inn, to the deck of a pirate ship, to Treasure Island itself.
“This production is an exciting project for the city of Casper, and a great opportunity for the students of the department of theatre and dance," said the play's director, Richard Burk. "Swordplay, treasure-hunting, ship-rigging to climb, and storms at sea. It will be a wonderful adventure."
The show is very physical, featuring masts and rigging for climbing and swordfights on the ship. "There's going to be a lot of swashing and buckling," said Burk, but says the playwright has crafted other levels to the tale of young fatherless Jim Hawkins, who finds an unlikely long-lost connection with pirate Long John Silver. "Ken Ludwig sees this as an opportunity to reference the importance of father figures in young peoples' lives."
“Treasure Island” is recommended for ages 8 and up, and Burk says it's a very family friendly show. “I hope that the audience will enjoy our production of ‘Treasure Island’ that is filled, like any good pirate story, with pirates, thrills, danger, threat, and redemption."
“Treasure Island” Casper College:
- April 26th-28th and May 2nd-5th at 7:30 p.m., with a matinee performance Sunday April 29th at 2:00 p.m.
- The performance on May 3 will also be American Sign Language interpreted.
- Tickets can be purchased online at caspercollegearts.cc, at the box office between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, by phone at 307-268-2500, or one hour before each performance, for that performance only.
- Tickets are $12 for adults and $10 for students 8-18.
- The McMurry Mainstage is located in the Gertrude Krampert Center for Theatre and Dance on the Casper College campus.