A man imprisoned for trying to rob a Casper bank four years ago violated the terms of his probation last year, was sent back to prison, and this week was sent to prison again for violating the terms of his probation this summer.

Jack Taber pleaded guilty in May 2014 to attempting to rob the Wells Fargo Bank in downtown Casper in March 2014.

U.S. District Court Judge Nancy Freudenthal sentenced him to 37 months of imprisonment, ordered three years of supervised release after his prison term, a mental health evaluation, and placement at a facility with a drug and alcohol rehabilitation program.


Taber was serving the last several months of his sentence at the Casper Re-entry Center in late December 2016 before his probationary term began.

But in May 2017, the U.S. Probation Office reported a series of violations of the terms of his probation, mostly about alcohol consumption and failing to report for drug testing. Taber admitted he violated the terms.

In September, Freudenthal sentenced Taber to five months of imprisonment and followed by supervised release for two-and-a-half years. The first three months were to be served at a residential re-entry center.

But on June 28, Taber was found passed out in his vehicle at his residence by a Casper Police officer who asked him how much he had to drink, and he responded "'not enough,'" according to the warrant for his arrest. Taber's blood alcohol content was .32 percent.

On July 2, he admitted to the violation. He was referred to the Central Wyoming Counseling Center for a mental health and substance abuse evaluation. The court also ordered him to serve six months at the Casper Re-entry Center.

The probation officer wrote that Taber did not have the skills to maintain his sobriety, but believed the CRC could provide the structure and oversight to help him gain the skills to be successful.

But on July 18, the CRC director reported that Taber failed to arrive. Later that day, a probation officer found him passed out in his vehicle. His blood alcohol content was .309 percent.

Taber said he didn't want to participate in the program at the CRC.

Monday, Freudenthal revoked his probation, sentenced him to 10 months in prison to be followed by two years of supervised release with the first three months at a residential re-entry center.

After his release from the halfway house, Taber will be placed on an alcohol monitoring program for three months, and he must attend a Mothers Against Drunk Driving victim impact panel at least once a month, Freudenthal wrote. "He may be excused from attendance by the probation officer only after submitting a letter expressing remorse and an understanding of the impact of his conduct."

More From K2 Radio