A former Dean Morgan Junior High School employee will go on trial this fall for involuntary manslaughter of a man he allegedly poisoned with methamphetamine.

Natrona County District Court Judge Daniel Forgey set Jon Freiberg's five-day trial for Oct. 31, during a scheduling hearing Friday with District Attorney Mike Blonigen and Freibergs's defense attorney Jared Holbrook.

In May, Freiberg pleaded not guilty to one felony count of involuntary manslaughter; two felony counts of conspiracy to possess or deliver a controlled substance; three felony and one misdemeanor counts of possession or delivery of a controlled substance; and one felony count of being an accessory before the fact.

Freiberg is awaiting trial on $100,000 bond. If convicted, he faces up to 20 years imprisonment on each of the felony charges.

He had worked Dean Morgan Junior High School as a campus supervisor, which meant he dealt with safety issues and student discipline, Natrona County School District spokesman Kelly Eastes said. Freiberg resigned in early February, Eastes said.

The case began Aug. 28 when Casper police were called to the Days Inn, 300 East E St., for a call of an unresponsive male in a vehicle, according to an affidavit by an agent with the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation.

Officers found Richard Serafin dead. The temperature was 85, and the interior of the vehicle was much hotter.

A juvenile witness saw Freiberg carry Serafin to the vehicle and place him inside, according to the affidavit.

The autopsy report stated Serafin died of a cardiac event due to the stress of meth intoxication, plus hypothermia, positional asphyxia and dehydration of the heart.

He also had a significant heart condition that he may not have known about, and he had been involved in sexual activity not long before his death, according to the autopsy report.

When interviewed, Freiberg admitted to putting Serafin in his car. He denied providing methamphetamine and eventually refused to talk anymore.

Authorities also interviewed numerous young males who went to motel rooms and obtained meth from Freiberg who became sexually aggressive toward them.

In January, a confidential informant contacted law enforcement saying Freiberg wanted to sell him some meth.

Police video- and audio-recorded the transaction. During the purchase with funds from the DCI, Freiberg said he put some meth in a cup and Serafin had accidentally consumed it.

On Feb. 1, the confidential informant made another purchase. That same day, authorities obtained a search warrant for Freiberg and his vehicle, where they found two small bags of methamphetamine and cash from the January purchase.

Freiberg resigned from the school district the next day.

More From K2 Radio