UPDATE -- Alleged bison hazer Raymond Reinke was jailed after hearing five charges against him during his initial appearance in federal court on Friday.

One count was for disturbing wildlife, two were alcohol-related, one was for interference, and one was for disorderly conduct.

The detention hearing, arraignment and bond revocation hearing is set for Wednesday.



An Oregon man who harassed a bison in Yellowstone National Park earlier this week -- a incident that went viral on social media -- was arrested Thursday night in a national park in Montana, according to a news release from Yellowstone on Friday afternoon.

Glacier National Park rangers apprehended Raymond Reinke, 55, from Pendleton, Ore., at 10:45 p.m. Thursday.

"We appreciate the collaboration of our fellow rangers in Glacier and Grand Teton national parks on this arrest," Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Dan Wenk said. "Harassing wildlife is illegal in any national park.”

Reinke had been traveling to multiple national parks over the last week.

On July 28, he was arrested by rangers in Grand Teton National Park on a drunk and disorderly conduct incident. He spent the night in the Teton County Jail, and was then released on bond.

Reinke then traveled to Yellowstone National Park where rangers stopped his vehicle for a traffic violation on Tuesday. He was a passenger, appeared intoxicated and argumentative, and was cited for failure to wear belt.

Park officials believe Reinke encountered the bison in Hayden Valley soon after that.

Yellowstone rangers received several wildlife harassment reports from concerned visitors. They found Reinke later that evening and issued a citation requiring a court appearance.

The video of the event surfaced after that citation had been issued.Thursday, and rangers connected Reinke’s extensive history.

Klaassen requested Reinke's bond be revoked, the court granted the request and issued the arrest warrant.

Reinke earlier had told rangers that his plans were to travel to Glacier National Park.

Thursday night, Glacier National Park rangers began looking for his vehicle.

Meanwhile, rangers responded to the Many Glacier Hotel because two guests were arguing and creating a disturbance in the hotel dining room. Rangers identified one of the individuals involved as Reinke.

Glacier rangers took Reinke to Helena where they met Yellowstone rangers,, who took him to Mammoth Hot Springs and booked him into the Yellowstone Jail.


Court records detail charges against Reinke.

On July 28, Reinke was cited with three petty offenses in U.S. District Court on Thursday for drunk and disorderly conduct in Grand Teton National Park:

  • "Presence in park area when under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance."
  • "Threaten/resist/intimidate/intent interfere with a government employee."
  • "Make noise that is unreasonable considering nature/purpose of conduct."

Court records say he was released on a $500 unsecured bond. His initial appearance on the three counts was scheduled at the Clifford P. Hansen Federal Courthouse on Aug. 21.

The first condition of the bond was "must not violate federal, state, or law while on release."

That didn't last long.

At 2:45 p.m. Tuesday, rangers stopped Reinke and his traveling companion Ted Wyrick at Lake Village in Yellowstone National Park. Reinke was a passenger in the vehicle and was cited for not wearing a seat belt. Rangers noticed he appeared to be intoxicated and argumentative.

The rangers were unaware of the bond conditions from the incident in Grand Teton National Park.

At 8:10 p.m., visitors reported the bison hazing incident to rangers.

Rangers, still unaware of the bond conditions, later contacted Reinke near the Tower area of the park and issued the two citations:

  • "Feeding, touching, teasing, frightening or intenentional disturbing of wildlife."
  • "Carry/store open bottle/container containing alcoholic beverage."

Rangers also issued Wyrick a citation for possession of a controlled substance.

After hearing about these incidents, Wyoming U.S. Attorney Mark Klaassen asked federal court to revoke Reinke's bond.

More From K2 Radio