Have heard from an increasing number of people going to WYDOT to get licenses or renew licenses that the paperwork now needed is catching many people off guard.

 Due to new regulation passed by the Wyoming Legislature this year and enacted by WYDOT starting June 1st you will have to provide certain documents to prove residency or not as well as documents to verify your social security number. Here are additional details from the website.

You must appear in person at your local driver exam station to apply for a first-time Wyoming license or identification card. You will be asked to surrender your out-of-state issued driver license and/or identification card when you apply for the Wyoming license and present (2) forms of approved documents as proof of Wyoming residency.  You are required to record your Social Security number on the application form. You may be asked to verify that number with your Social Security card if there is a discrepancy. Your Social Security number will not be displayed on the face of your driver license or ID card, but is required as part of the identity verification process.  If you do not have your current out-of-state driver's license or ID card to surrender, a state-certified copy of your birth certificate or valid U.S. passport/passport card is required.  If you were not born in the United States, you will be required to show proof of citizenship or present valid immigration documents.

You are required to present any two (2) of the below acceptable documents to prove you are a Wyoming resident:

  1. Lease agreement, rent or utility receipt in your name with your residential address (NOT P.O. box #);
  2. Proof of Wyoming voter registration; or 
  1. Vehicle registration form in your name with your Wyoming residential address (NOT P.O. box #).
So whether applying for the first time or renewing, gather your paperwork and have it ready,you will need it