A Denver man will avoid prison time for not contesting a charges in a case in which he is accused of pointing a pistol, at a passenger in his truck.

James Steele was given a six-to-eight year suspended prison sentence with five years of probation, after he pleaded no contest to one count of aggravated assault and battery.

At the same time he was also given a three-to-five year suspended prison sentence with five years of probation, after he pleaded no contest to one count of felonious restraint.

Steele is still being held at the Natrona County Detention Center, until he completes the Felony Program at the Casper Re-Entry Program.

He has also been ordered to write a letter of apology to the victim, because during defense victim testimony at the sentencing hearing, and when he made his own statements to the court, District Court Judge Catherine Wilking noted that while everyone testified about Steele's character, no one said anything in regards to the victim.

The victim and his wife told investigators with the Casper Police Department, that in early August 2014, they were at a Casper bar when they met Steele, who said he was going to go to an after-party, and the two decided to join him.

The victim rode in the backseat of Steele's vehicle, while the victim's wife had her own ride.

While in the bar parking lot, Steele accelerated and ran over the victim's wife's foot, which at that point, the victim wanted to get out of the vehicle, but Steele refused and drove off.

Steele then pointed a semi-automatic handgun at the victim, and then later both Steele and the victim got out of the vehicle on Amoco Road, and the victim was told to empty his pockets.

It was at this point, another passenger in Steele's vehicle, who told officers a similar version of the events, slid over to the driver's seat, took control of the vehicle and drove away.

The victim was then able to wrestle the gun away from Steele and discard it, before fleeing the scene and contacting police.

Officers found Steele a short time later and arrested him.

When interviewed, Steele said he did not remember leaving the bar, and did remember being in a scuffle, but said he would not answer any questions about owning a gun, or if there was a holster in the vehicle.

Police found a holster and a magazine containing 15 9mm rounds, and recovered another handgun magazine found on Steele.