Christopher Eads, who surrendered after a nearly four-hour late-night standoff near Interstate 25 in Casper two weekends ago, will go on trial in Natrona County District Court.

Eads, 34, waived his preliminary hearing before Natrona County Circuit Court Judge Michael Patchen on Thursday.

He is charged with one count each of conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine and heroin; one count of delivering meth; six counts of aggravated assault; one count of felony property destruction; and one count of possession of a deadly weapon with unlawful intent.

At Eads' initial appearance on June 8, Patchen said the conspiracy and property destruction counts include potentially enhanced penalties of 10 years of imprisonment each because Eads allegedly used firearms while committing those crimes.
If convicted on all counts, Eads faces up to 165 years of imprisonment.

The case began more than a month ago when law enforcement agencies began tracking his movements after they learned he was a leader of a heroin and methamphetamine distribution ring in Casper, according to court records.

On Saturday, June 3, agents were waiting for Eads and his girlfriend Santana Kenner to return from Colorado, having learned Friday that the pair was allegedly making a drug run. They intended to stop the pair on I-25 as they approached Casper.

About 9:30 p.m., Kenner realized she was being followed and a chase ensued. The engine of their sport utility vehicle stalled, Eads started shooting at law enforcement, Kenner started driving again, Eads switched seats and he began driving.

He stopped the SUV in a median, turned around and drove south toward officers at speeds up to 100 mph even after spike strips blew two tires and officers were shooting at them.

Eads drove into Glenrock. Officers found the SUV and shortly after that received a report of an elderly woman who had been assaulted. Eads grabbed her arms to get the keys to her car, pushed her and she fell down. He and Keener got into her car and he backed it through the garage door

Officers later found her car in a ditch in Glenrock. Eads assaulted a Glenrock police officer and stole his patrol car. He left Keener in a ditch in Glenrock, and she was arrested and taken into custody where officers found heroin on her person.

Eads later crashed the police car, stole another vehicle and drove north on I-25.

Officers from numerous law enforcement agencies chased him into Casper, where Eads again hit spike strips, ultimately coming to a stop and the resulting standoff at Dayton Transmission, 1610 East F St.

After the standoff, Eads was arrested and hospitalized until the following Wednesday.

Eads' arraignment in district court will be set later. He remains in custody on a $500,000 bond.

More From K2 Radio