980-K2-Radio1
loading...

LONDON (AP) - THE CHAIRMAN OF THE FINSBURY PARK MOSQUE AND OTHER FAITH LEADERS IN LONDON HAVE HELD A MOMENT OF SILENCE FOR VICTIMS OF A DRIVER WHO PLOWED INTO A CROWD OF WORSHIPPERS LEAVING A RAMADAN PRAYER SERVICE. AFTER THE SILENCE, MOHAMMED KOZBAR READ A BRIEF STATEMENT DECLARING THAT AN "AN ATTACK ON ONE FAITH IS AN ATTACK ON ALL FAITHS." KOZBAR WAS SURROUNDED BY LEADERS OF OTHER FAITHS IN THE COMMUNITY AND BY LABOUR PARTY LEADER JEREMY CORBYN, WHO IS THE LOCAL MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT FOR THE AREA.

WASHINGTON (AP) - REP. JIM HIMES, A DEMOCRATIC MEMBER OF THE HOUSE INTELLIGENCE COMMITTEE, SAYS "WE ARE A WAYS YET FROM BEING ABLE TO CONCLUDE ANYTHING" WHEN IT COMES TO HIS COMMITTEE'S INVESTIGATION INTO RUSSIA'S ACTIONS IN THE 2016 ELECTION. HIMES SAYS INTERVIEWS ARE STILL BEING SCHEDULED AND DOCUMENTS BEING REVIEWED.

TOKYO (AP) - JAPAN'S COAST GUARD IS INVESTIGATING WHY IT TOOK NEARLY AN HOUR FOR A DEADLY COLLISION BETWEEN A U.S. NAVY DESTROYER AND A CONTAINER SHIP TO BE REPORTED. COAST GUARD OFFICIALS SAID MONDAY THEY ARE TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THE CREW OF THE PHILIPPINE-FLAGGED ACX CRYSTAL WAS DOING BEFORE REPORTING THE COLLISION TO AUTHORITIES 50 MINUTES LATER.

TEHRAN, IRAN (AP) - IRAN'S BALLISTIC MISSILE STRIKE TARGETING THE ISLAMIC STATE GROUP IN SYRIA SERVES BOTH AS REVENGE FOR ATTACKS ON TEHRAN EARLIER THIS MONTH AND AS A WARNING THAT IRAN COULD STRIKE SAUDI ARABIA AND AMERICAN INTERESTS IN THE MIDEAST. THAT'S ACCORDING TO A GENERAL IN IRAN'S POWERFUL REVOLUTIONARY GUARD, WHICH LAUNCHED THE MISSILE STRIKE ON SUNDAY NIGHT. GEN. RAMAZAN SHARIF SAID IT WAS A WARNING TO BOTH SAUDI ARABIA AND THE U.S.

======================================

A MAN WHO WAS PREVIOUSLY CONVICTED OF SEXUAL ABUSE OF A MINOR IN ALASKA OVER 15 YEARS AGO IS HEADED TO PRISON AGAIN AFTER ADMITTING TO COMMITTING SIMILAR CRIMES AGAINST YOUNG GIRLS IN CASPER.

NATRONA COUNTY DISTRICT COURT JUDGE CATHERINE WILKING ON FRIDAY SENTENCED 45-YEAR-OLD LENARD WILLIAM SMILEY TO 45-70 YEARS IMPRISONMENT. SMILEY PLEADED GUILTY IN APRIL TO THREE COUNTS OF SECOND-DEGREE SEXUAL ABUSE OF A MINOR AND ONE COUNT OF THIRD-DEGREE SEXUAL ABUSE OF A MINOR.

WILKING ALSO ORDERED SMILEY TO PAY OVER $18,000 IN RESTITUTION TO WYOMING MEDICAID AND VICTIM SERVICES. SMILEY SHARES THAT FINANCIAL OBLIGATION WITH HIS WIFE, 50-YEAR-OLD SONYA SUE SMILEY, WHO ALSO PLEADED GUILTY IN THE CASE.

SHE WAS SENTENCED TO 18-20 YEARS IMPRISONMENT LAST WEEK ON ONE COUNT OF ACCESSORY BEFORE THE FACT TO SECOND-DEGREE SEXUAL ABUSE OF A MINOR AND ONE COUNT OF THIRD-DEGREE SEXUAL ABUSE OF A MINOR. SHE ALSO TOOK A PLEA DEAL AND SAW FURTHER CHARGES DISMISSED.

COURT DOCUMENTS SAID THE SMILEYS MET THE VICTIMS AND THEIR FAMILIES THROUGH THE SOCIETY FOR CREATIVE ANACHRONISMS -- A GROUP DEDICATED TO RE-CREATING THE CULTURE OF EUROPE BEFORE THE 17TH CENTURY.

ONE VICTIM REPORTEDLY KNEW LENARD SMILEY WAS A CONVICTED SEX OFFENDER, BUT SMILEY WOULD TELL PEOPLE THAT POLICE IN ALASKA FRAMED HIM AND THE CHARGES WERE FALSE.

THE SMILEYS FORCED THE VICTIMS TO MODEL LINGERIE AND PERFORM SEX ACTS THAT WERE UNBEARABLY PAINFUL. ONE SUCH ACT RESULTED IN ONE VICTIM PASSING OUT AND HAVING TO BE TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL.

=======================================
CHEYENNE, WYO. (AP) - UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING OFFICIALS WILL EXAMINE WHETHER TO ALLOW STUDENTS TO EARN THEIR EDUCATION DEGREES AND LICENSES THROUGH DISTANCE LEARNING.

POTENTIAL TEACHERS NOW HAVE FEW OPTIONS TO COMPLETE EDUCATION PROGRAMS WITHOUT BEING PRESENT ON THE UNIVERSITY'S LARAMIE CAMPUS.

TRUSTEES EDUCATION INITIATIVE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR REBECCA WATTS SAYS OFFICIALS PLAN TO LOOK AT WHETHER THE WYOMING COLLEGE OF EDUCATION'S PROGRAM OR PARTS OF IT COULD BE DELIVERED THROUGH DISTANCE LEARNING.

SHE SAYS THAT COULD INCLUDE COURSES OFFERED THROUGH TECHNOLOGY, PARTNERSHIPS WITH COMMUNITY COLLEGES AND OTHER METHODS.

WATTS SAYS UW PRESIDENT LAURIE NICHOLS IS PROMOTING AN EFFORT TO INCREASE DISTANCE EDUCATION OFFERINGS IN EVERY DEPARTMENT.

=====================================
CASPER, WYO. (AP) - A TRIAL HAS BEEN DELAYED FOR A FORMER WYOMING GYNECOLOGIST ACCUSED OF SEXUALLY ASSAULTING SIX PATIENTS.

PAUL HARNETTY'S ATTORNEY REQUESTED THE DELAY, SAYING HE NEEDS TO REVIEW EVIDENCE THAT IS STILL ARRIVING IN HIS OFFICE. ATTORNEY DON FULLER SAYS HE IS UNPREPARED FOR THE JUNE 26 TRIAL DATE AFTER TAKING OVER THE CASE LAST WEEK.

NATRONA COUNTY DISTRICT COURT JUDGE THOMAS SULLINS GRANTED THE DELAY FRIDAY AFTER A PROSECUTOR SAID HE DIDN'T OPPOSE THE REQUEST.

HARNETTY FACES 10 CHARGES RELATED TO THE ALLEGED ASSAULTS BETWEEN 2014 AND 2015. THE WOMEN SAY HARNETTY TOUCHED THEM IN WAYS THAT DIDN'T SEEM TO BE IN LINE WITH A MEDICAL EXAM.

HARNETTY DENIES THE CHARGES.

SULLINS HAS NOT YET SET A NEW TRIAL DATE, BUT IT IS EXPECTED TO BE POSTPONED ABOUT 60 DAYS.