A 70-year-old is dead following a fire in a Rock Springs residence Wednesday.

In a statement on social media, the Rock Springs Police Department said Charles Berti died from injuries sustained in the fire.

First Responders were called to the scene at 2:30 p.m.Wednesday. Police officers attempted to rescue Berti, who was the building's lone occupant. The Rock Springs Fire Department ultimately rescued Berti and transported him to Memorial Hospital of Sweetwater County.

Two Rock Springs police officers were treated for smoke inhalation and released from the hospital.

An investigation into the fire is ongoing.

Smoke detectors in the residence were not properly functioning at the time of the fire.

Rock Springs Fire Department Chief Jim Wamsley reminds area residents to check the batteries in their smoke detectors regularly and check fire extinguishers frequently.

The Rock Springs Fire Department will inspect smoke detectors and, in some cases, install new ones for residents.