Energy Share Of Wyoming Helps Families Statewide
Energy Share of Wyoming has kicked off its 2017-18 season, celebrating 30 years of serving Wyoming families. The program, which is sponsored by numerous Wyoming businesses, organizations and communities, offers assistance to people with energy-related emergencies when unusual circumstances create financial needs that are not met through existing assistance programs, according to Energy Share. The funding comes from voluntary contributions for the program that runs through spring 2018.
The goals this season are to raise more than $100,000 and assist more than 350 families statewide. Last year, Energy Share raised nearly $62,000 in private and corporate donations and assisted 176 households throughout the state. This included recipients in 20 Wyoming counties, with an average paid bill of $303.
“We are very fortunate in Wyoming to have so many generous people who want to help their neighbors through the rough times," says Leslie Blythe, Energy Share past president from Rocky Mountain Power. "For 30 years, our program has been very successful and been able to assist thousands of families in need. We look forward to the next 30 years!”
Energy Share funding is available to pay energy bills when all other resources and assistance have been exhausted.
- First priority goes to individuals and families at or above 185 percent of the Federal Poverty Level.
- Special consideration is given to senior citizens and the disabled.
- Energy Share provides for a one-time expenditure of up to $400 per household, and all applicants must be Wyoming residents.
- Funding decisions are made by The Salvation Army, which reviews applications and assesses eligibility based on need, lack of other resources and available Energy Share funds.
- Individuals interested in applying for funds should contact their local Salvation Army, or call toll-free 1-877-461-5719, to determine your local Salvation Army field representative.
If you'd like to make a tax-deductible contribution, sponsoring utilities will include instructions in their fall and winter billing statements. if you're in an area without a sponsoring utility, You may send your tax-deductible donations to:
Energy Share of Wyoming, c/o Align, 1401 Airport Parkway Suite 300, Cheyenne, WY 82001-1543.
Energy Share of Wyoming is a non-profit organization consisting of a partnership of numerous organizations, utilities and businesses. Sponsoring groups include The Salvation Army; Montana-Dakota Utilities; Rocky Mountain Power and Rocky Mountain Power Foundation; Black Hills Energy and Black Hills Corporation; Townsquare Media Group; Wyoming Rural Electric Association; City of Gillette; Powder River Energy Corporation; Town of Lusk; Dominion-Questar; City of Powell; Align; and Kelly Rizley Advertising & PR.