City Council Announces Allocations For Charitable Projects
Casper City Council has allocated $8 million for 30 local nonprofit organizations that requested Optional One-Cent Sales Tax funding for community oriented projects, according to a news release from the City Manager's Office on Friday.
Thirty-three organizations asked for more than $13.5 million for their projects during two special work sessions on March 11 and 18.
The largest request was $2 million from the Wyoming Medical Center Foundation to expand its Masterson Place for families visiting patients at the Wyoming Medical Center.
The smallest request was $21,815 from Natrona County Meals on Wheels for a vehicle.
No organization received all that it requested.
Three organizations' requests were denied entirely: Boy Scouts for an adventure camp; Casper Elks Lodge No. 1353 for an Americans With Disabilities Act entryway remodel; and the Community Health Center of Central Wyoming for a mobile health care.
The funding for the projects comes from the Optional One-Cent Sales Tax No. 15, which Natrona County voters overwhelmingly approved in the November general election. The revenues will be collected from now through early 2019.
These are the organizations, their projects, their requests and the final amounts awarded after the adjustments:
- Arc of Natrona County: Program support -- $60,000 requested; $50,000 allocated.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters: Youth mentoring program -- $200,000 requested; $76,291 awarded.
- Boys & Girls Clubs: North Casper impact project -- $400,000 requested; $293,140 allocated.
- Brain Injury Alliance of Wyoming: Representative payeeship program -- $23,000 requested; $20,625 allocated.
- Casper Area Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Center: Visitor Center infrastructure repairs -- $22,888 requested; $22,416 allocated.
- Casper Artists' Guild: ART 321-Casper Artist Guild at the Warehouse; $350,000 requested; $258,246 allocated.
- Casper Boxing Club: Police Athletics/Activities League pilot programming -- $170,000 requested; $109,521 allocated.
- Casper Community Greenhouse Project: Greenhouse project -- $417,070 requested; $191,480 allocated.
- Casper Housing Authority: Life Steps Campus revitalization project -- $1 million requested; $983,201 allocated.
- Casper Mountain Biathlon Club: Biathlon & Multi-Sport Complex -- $911,045 requested; $637,474 allocated.
- Casper Mountain Science School: Mountain ready vehicles, science school -- $194,000 requested; $90,230 allocated.
- Casper-Natrona County Health Department: Vehicles -- $100,000 requested; $90,230 allocated.
- Casper Sports Alliance: Sports event timing system -- $46,500 requested; $35,125 allocated.
- Central Wyoming Rescue Mission: CWRM capacity building and expansion -- $374,500 requested; $298,321 allocated.
- Central Wyoming Senior Services: Renovation -- $598,611 requested; $534,296 allocated.
- CLIMB Wyoming: Training and placing Casper low-income mothers in careers -- $200,000 requested; $159,303 allocated.
- Community Action Partnership: Human services support expansion -- $1.2 million requested; $858,959 allocated.
- Family Journey Center: Little Hands at Life Steps Campus -- $153,845 requested; $67,187 allocated.
- Food for Thought: Food Bags, Community gardens, farmers market -- $61,000 requested; $31,875 allocated.
- National Historic Trails Center: Exhibit revisions and upgrades -- $104,998 requested; $86,620 allocated.
- Natrona County School District and other partners: We Read Program -- $300,000 requested; $217,922 allocated.
- Natrona County Meals on Wheels: Vehicle -- $21,815 requested; $21,259 allocated.
- Nicolaysen Art Museum: Capital improvements -- $277,000 requested; $236,217 allocated.
- Platte River Parkway Trust: Future trails plans -- $1,956,944 requested; $767,544 allocated.
- Poverty Resistance Food Pantry: Food pantries -- $250,000 requested; $137,524 allocated.
- Salvation Army: Sally's Kitchen -- $161,652 requested; $132,952 allocated.
- Science Zone: Museum development -- $887,027.05 requested; $374,242 allocated.
- Wyoming Food Bank of the Rockies: Fighting Hunger, Feeding Hope -- $1 million requested; $365,900 allocated.
- Wyoming Medical Center Foundation: Masterson Place expansion project -- $2 million requested; $796,517 allocated.
- Wyoming Symphony Orchestra: Renovation of Washington Park Band Shell, Summer Pops in the Park Concert Series -- $105,000 requested; $55,383 allocated.