Casper Firefighters Snuff Blaze At Two Homes
Casper firefighters extinguished a fire in the 1900 block of East 23rd Street today, according to a news release.
About 12:30 p.m., neighbors reported it started as a fence fire that ignited one home and was threatening another.
Firefighters quickly knocked down the fire and determined no one was inside either home.
A fence and an exterior garage wall were destroyed. Heat damaged a pickup and an electrical meter at the second home.
Hot charcoal and ashes blown from a grill caused the fire. The owner of the home and grill said the grill's lid had been left open.
Casper Fire-EMS reminds people to take extra care with outdoor cooking and smoking materials. Dispose of charcoal coals only after they are cool.
Empty the coals into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid used only for that purpose. Place the container outside and away from anything that can burn. Never empty coals directly into a trash can.
Likewise, do not throw cigarettes into vegetation, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grasses, mulch, leaves, and similar materials because they, too, can easily ignite.