The City of Casper Fire-EMS Department says a space heater connected by an extension cord started a fire that destroyed a doghouse Saturday evening.

Firefighters, police officers and EMS all responded to 1141 W. 62nd St. beginning at 6:20 p.m. after neighbors saw smoke and fire coming from the back of the home.

Casper Fire-EMS units arrived to find  a doghouse in the backyard completely engulfed in flames. Firefighters quickly controlled the fire and kept it from spreading to the home and nearby buildings, according to a press release from the department.

No first responders were injured, and the dog that lived in the doghouse was not hurt. The doghouse was completely destroyed.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a space heater inside the doghouse connected to the home by an extension cord.

Casper-Fire EMS is taking an the opportunity to remind everyone that extension cords are intended for temporary use only.

"If you do plan on using an extension cord to power a heat-producing appliance, make sure only one appliance is plugged into the outlet at a time," the release reads. "Make sure that your space heater is protected by an automatic shut-off in the event it is accidently tipped over."

The department also reminds folks to maintain a three-foot space around heating appliances, free of any flammable materials, children and pets.