Violent weekend in Chicago leaves at least 6 dead
CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago Police are investigating after a violent weekend left at least six people dead and more than three dozen wounded in a series of shootings.
The Chicago Sun-Times reported Monday that it was the most violent weekend of the year in the city.
Authorities say the first homicide of the weekend happened late Friday on the city’s West Side. The tally, which included at least 41 injuries, spanned Friday night through Sunday night.
The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office said Monday morning that the youngest victim was 15-year-old Michael Westley, who died Sunday.
Chicago Police officials told the newspaper that more shootings took place during the same weekend last year and that there have been fewer murders so far in 2013 than any year since the mid-1960s.