Emergency crews responded to a house fire in Casper Thursday afternoon. K2 Radio's Daniel Sandoval has the details.

According to a Casper Fire-EMS press release, two people returned from school at around 3:30 pm to find smoke coming from their home on the 700 block of West 54th Street.

Firefighters arrived and reported smoke blackened windows but no visible flames. Upon entering, they discovered and extinguished a small fire in the basement.

No people were in the home at the time of the fire but the household pets died from the thick smoke, which also caused extensive smoke damage to the home. The five people who lived in the home will not be able to return for some time.

The occupants were given a check from the burn fund and they are also getting help from the Red Cross.

Fire investigators say the fire was accidental and believe it started near an aquarium, but they are still trying to determine the exact cause.

From the K2 Radio News Center, I'm Daniel Sandoval