Holiday Food Drive
Townsquare Media, Wyoming Food Bank Of The Rockies, and Albertson’s are teaming up to tackle holiday hunger head-on, during the 1st Annual Casper Birds & Bucks Holiday Food Drive. This twelve hour event will be held November 18 at both Casper Albertson’s locations from 6am-6pm, broadcast live on all six of Townsquare’s Casper radio stations: My Country 95.5, K2 Radio, Rock 96.7, 107.9 The River, 104.7 KISS-FM, and AM 1400. 100% of collections will be distributed between six local food banks serving our neighbors in need: Joshua’s Storehouse, Holy Cross Food Bank, Salvation Army, Faith Assembly Food Pantry, Oasis Food Bank, and the Central Wyoming Rescue Mission. Volunteers will be on the lookout for frozen turkeys, and cash/checks. Financial contributions will go farther than ever before – as all funds will be used to purchase food for our six charities via Wyoming Food Bank Of The Rockies. Due to their non-profit status and vast national/local relationships – Wyoming Food Bank is able to get food to these charities for a fraction of retail. Just $10 will feed a family of four for an entire week. As of last year, the statistics were already sobering:
- 13% of Wyoming children live in families with incomes below the poverty threshold and 31% live in families with incomes less than twice the federal poverty threshold.
- 9.4% of people in Wyoming live in poverty, as of 2009.
- 6.2% of Wyoming seniors live in poverty.
- 1 in 10 of households in Wyoming are food insecure, or food insecure with hunger.
- 2010 Food Distribution by Wyoming Food Bank Of The Rockies – 2.5 million pounds of food: over 500,000 pounds in Natrona County.
In 2010, the numbers are only going up. This year, WFBR has distributed 4.25 million pounds of food, over 850,000 pounds in Natrona County. That’s an 80% increase in just 12 months. If you’d like to contribute in advance – a fund has been set up at all Casper locations of Hilltop National Bank – just tell them it’s for the “Birds & Bucks Holiday Food Drive”. Otherwise, we’d love to see you in person at Albertson’s on November 18th. Thanks for helping us help Casper families in need! Contacts: