Heating Device Sparks Fire In North Casper Home [AUDIO]
A midday structure fire sparked by a heating device did considerable damage to a home in Casper today.
Casper Fire-Ems were called out to the 100 block of North Jackson St. just before noon Tuesday to a fire at a single family residence. Pat McJunkin, for Casper Fire-Ems, says they found smoke coming from the home and the occupant had evacuated.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, “but it did cause quite a bit of damage. The room of origin had significant smoke and heat damage and then smoke and heat damage to the remainder of the structure itself. So at this point the home is no longer habitable until repairs can be made. We’re estimating damage to contents and the structure in excess of $40,000.”
He says the occupant was sent to Wyoming Medical Center with minor injuries.
The fire, McJunkin says, was caused by someone placing combustible materials on a floor heater.
The materials ignited and the fire spread.
With heating season just around the corner, Casper Fire-EMS reminds residents to check their heating equipment.
“This is a great time of year to start thinking about turning on the heating devices in our homes and in our businesses. It’s a good opportunity to go through and check those heating devices and appliances and assure that they are operating properly.”
And he stresses, always make sure combustibles are kept a minimum of three feet away from any heating device.