Health Officials Issue Radon Warning
Wyoming Department of Health officials are reminding state residents to get their homes tested for radon.
Radon is an invisible, odorless, tasteless and radioactive gas that is especially found in older buildings. It's released from the element radium and is found in rocks, soil and water.
Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after tobacco use. Radon is very common in Wyoming, and health officials say all homes have some level of the gas.
But it's considered a health threat above four picocuries per liter of air. Even at lower levels it can be a health problem if people suffer prolonged exposure.
Julie Tarbuck with the Wyoming Comprehensive Cancer Program says, "The good news is exposure to radon is easily preventable with testing and fixing."
The program has radon testing kits available for people at a low cost and also has resources available for contractors, real estate agents and home buyers.
More information is available at a department of health website.