Firefighters Snuff Smoke Under Trailer In North Casper
Casper Fire-EMS responded to a call about a structure fire in the 1100 block of North Wolcott Street about 3:15 p.m. Monday, according to a news release.
Firefighters saw smoke coming from under a trailer house, and determined a blackened extension cord was the cause of the smoke, Casper Fire-EMS spokesman Justin Smith said.
No one was injured and property damage was limited to the immediate area. The occupants of the trailer house were allowed to return home after the investigation ended.
Casper Fire-EMS reminds people that extension cords can pose dangers. They should be used only on a temporary basis and should not be used if they are damaged.
Extension cords should never pass through doors, windows, walls or ceilings because they can be damaged, overheat or short out.
Surge protectors with installed circuit breakers can provide increased protection as an alternative. Be careful not to use cords outside if they are intended for indoor use.
And be especially alert when using extension cords outdoors when water is present.