Fire Alarm At Laramie Jr. High Causes Evacuation
UPDATE 12:45 PM: KOWB has learned that during a power outage Tuesday morning caused some 3-phase motors to overheat setting off fire alarms at the school. See below for the School District’s official statement.
A fire alarm Tuesday morning caused the evacuation of Laramie Jr. High School.
According to an official statement by Albany County School District, students were allowed to return to the building shortly after the alarms went off.
The district says that the fire alarm was connected to a power outage that hit the Laramie Jr. High area earlier Tuesday morning.
Official statement from Albany County School District 1:
“Between 7:55 and 8:09 this morning, power from the Snowy Range Substation on north 30th Street was interrupted, degrading power to all residences and schools north of Grand Avenue. At Indian Paintbrush Elementary and Laramie Junior High, this degraded power caused 3-phase electric motors to overheat and activate the fire detection system. Children were evacuated at both schools while the Laramie Fire Department checked the buildings. Buses were sent to both buildings and children were loaded to keep them warm. Children at the junior high were also escorted to the firehouse across the street. The fire department cleared both buildings and children and staff were allowed back into the schools. All systems are up and running and school has resumed normal operations.”
As of about 9:30 AM Tuseday, it seemed to be business as usual at the Jr. High, but Laramie Police Department as well as school officials were seen with walkie-talkies patrolling the halls both during and between classes.