Downed Line Sparks Fire Near Douglas
A downed power line sparked a grass fire that started big threatening a home just west of Douglas Sunday evening.
Douglas Volunteer Fire Chief, Rick Andrews says the wind brought the power line down sparking the fire near the home on Cold Springs Road. "Primary lines started the grass on fire. They had some stored wood piles up there. The home didn't get damaged. The rain came down of course and helped us a bunch so we didn't have a whole lot of problem with it."
Exploding propane tanks fed the flames, but Andrews says, fortunately, the weather that brought the line down in the first place also helped them when winds turned the fire back on itself.
The fire was one of four that firefighters in Converse County responded to that evening.
Andrews says thanks to the Rural Fire and Glenrock Fire Departments they've been managing through these days of multiple calls.
"We have our units here in town. Glenrock was up helping on the one on Hwy 93 at Smiths Ranch and then also the Rural Fire Department was a big help to us. They have quite a few trucks that are stationed around the county at different ranches and farms and they respond from where they're at. So rural fire has quite a bit of equipment out there that helps us on these."