Casper Fire-EMS Extinguishes Blaze In Shed; Pet-Warming Devices Caused Fire
Casper Fire-EMS was dispatched to report of a structure fire in the 1000 block of Cardiff Circle on the east side about 6:30 p.m. Friday, according to a news release
Crews arrived to find a burning shed, which was attached to a garage at a residence.
Firefighters extinguished the shed and exterior fire and entered the residence to assure it had not extended inside. They found smoke in the residence but no fire.
Four residents live in the home and one adult was evaluated medically. The injuries were not life threatening.
Two dogs were also present but were not hurt.
The shed sustained significant fire damage while the residence was damaged by smoke.
Utilities were restored and the occupants should be able to return. No damage estimate has been made.
After an investigation, the fire apparently started accidentally by electric devices used to provide heat for dogs in the shed. Heat lamps and a heating pad were both used in the shed.
Four engines, one truck and chief officers intially responded. Units remained on scene until approximately 9:30 p.m.
Casper Fire-EMS was assisted by Casper police, the Wyoming Medical Center, City of Casper Solid Waste, and Casper-Natrona County Health Department’s Firefighter Rehab.
With cold temperatures here, residents who want to keep their pets warm are encouraged to use caution. Use only devices specifically designed for the purpose of providing heat to pets.
Always maintain a safe distance between heating devices and combustable materials.
For questions about this or other fire safety concerns, please contact Casper Fire’s Community Risk Reduction Division at 235-8222 during normal business hours.