Carbon Monoxide Still A Danger, Mild Winter Or Not
Even though this has been an unusually mild winter, the Regional Poison Control Center advises everyone to be on the watch for carbon monoxide as instances of poisoning tend to be just as common in a mild winter as in one that’s severe.
Joan McVoy, nurse and poison information specialist says The Centers for Disease Control rank Wyoming as a state with one of the highest mortality rates for people dying from carbon monoxide.
“The thing with carbon monoxide is, you can’t see it. You can’t smell it. It doesn’t have a taste at all.”
She says its important to understand the sources and the symptoms. A furnace in poor repair is one source. A car left idling in a garage is another, something that she says is on the increase with the popularity of remote starters.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include sleepiness, headache, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, shortness of breath and convulsions. Those are all symptoms that are often confused for other common illnesses.
If you have concerns call the Regional Poison Control Center at 1 800 222 1222