Contact Us

Car Thief Leads Police on 163-Mile Chase through Wyoming.

A pursuit that was begun by Deputies with the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and Officers with the Riverton Police Department ended 163 miles later near Elk Mountain, Wyoming. Fremont County Deputies and Riverton Police Officers tried to stop a 2013 Dodge Charger in Riverton because they suspected the vehicle was possibly stolen. A pursuit began and help from the Wyoming Highway Patrol was requested.

Patrol Troopers attempted to deploy stop sticks on the vehicle at Sweetwater Station at 2:12 p.m. but were unsuccessful. The pursuit continued east on WY 789 where Rawlins Troopers entered the chase at 2:32 p.m. on WY 789 where stop sticks were again deployed unsuccessfully.

The chase headed south on US 287 towards Rawlins. The driver swerved at multiple troopers and a BLM Ranger as well as at oncoming northbound traffic. At that point, the pursuit was temporarily stopped for the safety of oncoming traffic. As the Dodge continued to endanger traffic on US 287, the chase was re-initiated.

The Carbon County Sheriff’s Office and Rawlins Police Department shut down the US 287 bypass into Rawlins to keep traffic away from the pursuit. At the Rawlins city limits, the pursuit was stopped again to avoid going through the town. An unmarked Rawlins Police car was able to maintain visual contact with the vehicle.

At 3:03 p.m., the vehicle entered Interstate 80 eastbound and the pursuit was on again where stop sticks were deployed for a fourth time on Interstate 80 east. The fourth time was successful causing the right front tire of the Dodge to go flat. The pursuit continued near Elk Mountain, Wyoming where the vehicle finally stopped.

25 year old Martin Anderson of Peyton, Colorado and a juvenile male were arrested without incident. Martin Anderson was identified as the driver during the pursuit. The 2013 Dodge Charger had been reported stolen out of Colorado Springs, CO on July 30th, 2014. Two handguns were found in the vehicle that were within reach of the driver during the chase. Speeds reached up to 140 mph during the approximate 163 mile long pursuit. No injuries were reported.

Martin Anderson and the juvenile were both taken to jail in Rawlins and charges are pending as the investigation continues.


Recommended For You

Best of the Web

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing VIP profile. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to using your original account information.

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

(Forgot your password?)

Not a member? Sign up here

Sign up for K2 Fan Club quickly by connecting your Facebook account. It's just as secure and no password to remember!

Sign up to have exclusive K2 Fan Club contests, events, coupons, presales, and much more delivered to you for FREE.